Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using transcender 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha88

MIS
Jan 1, 2004
US
I'm wanting to purchase a transcender for the xp test. I want to put it on my laptop and also my work computer. Will this be a problem someone was telling me that you may not be able to put transcener on 2 systems. I hope this is not the case because I would like to have it on both systems.

it's a licensing issue... definitely has to do with how ethical you are...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

but if he's the only one using the program, is it still a violation?

Setnaffa is an MCP-W2K (working on MCSE-W2K) with a few other certs, too...

Yes I will be the only user I just want to put it on my home and work systems.

I think their license says just one user on just one PC...

But, double check your copy's "EULA" for complete details...

And check your employer to make sure adding the software to the work PC is cool... ;-)

We want all TT readers to be safe, secure, and on the moral high ground...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

I would contact their helpdesk via e-mail myself and find out from the horse's mouth so to speak. Let them know of your situation and what you would like to do.

My guess they would probably be happy to accommodate you as a customer service sort of thing. This little thing probably would make you happy and continue to use their products.

I have used selftest software myself. I have been in the situation where I have purchased a new laptop and required a reinstall. I have also had installs at work and home. I enquired with the selftest software helpdesk for additional activations to allow for situation and they were excellent. I am just about to purchase a whole lot more. My guess Transender would probably offer the same.

If they can do anything to keep you as a customer, they will probably be happy to do it. I have been happy and will continue being a customer because it was a win - win. Studying is hard enough with out having to worry about this stuff ;-).

Goodluck

Hey, I called Transcender and personally asked them. They did not have a problem. I put it on my laptop and my desktop. Just let them know what you are doing. Honesty is the best policy

tma1027 thanks for the reply, but I like to know how good are those transcenders really. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend the money or not. Basically have you taken any exams yet if so how clsoe was the transcender questions to the real exam questions?

Transcenders ask you to show the same knowledge; but the questions are not the same...

With the exception of Networking Essentials (back in the NT 3.51/4.0 days) and 70-216, the Transcenders were the capstone of my training (2-3 PCs with eval s/w, all of the "old" MS Press/Syngress/Exam Cram/Sybex books I could find for less than $5 each, and "a few hours" of getting familiar with all of the relevant menus...)

I would say they are not a good tool if used without hands-on; but an excellent means of measuring your study habits and whether you're ready for the real exam...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

I'd like to know how similar the Transcenders are to the actual questions on the test in terms of difficulty. I'm regularly scoring about 600 on the transcenders the first time and up around about 850 after taking the tests the second time.

Just trying to figure out if I'm ready for the real exam yet or not.

depends on if you're learning the materials or memorizing the transcender... ;-)

usually there are three or four tests... and a random selection...

see Glen Johnson's FAQ faq468-4224

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

flyboy32,

I used Transcenders for the 70-270, and passed it in July. In terms of difficulty, the real exam questions will be at minimum as difficult as the Transcenders, and at most, much more difficult.

I was scoring in the 710-740 range on Transcenders, and got a 751 on the real test. Your milage may vary, of course, but I didn't feel as prepared as I would have liked while taking the actual test.

There are areas like RIS that it's difficult to get hands-on experience, since very few of us work in a situation that allows us to do remote deployment of Windows XP. On this topic (as an example), I felt that the Transcenders did prepare me for the exam questions better than just reading the book.

Wishdiak

Took the test last friday and agree with Wishdiak about the level of difficulty. I had previously heard that the transcenders were 'all' much more difficult, but this is inaccurate. I'd say transcenders are at least as difficult if not more, but the one I tested was very similar to the exam.

I would also agree with the experience part. There were a whole slew of AD questions, much more than the Transcenders, and I would say that the Transcenders didn't prepare me for that quite as well. Also, I had read two study guides at least once through (Examcram2 & Syngress), and still I didn't feel prepared for the AD content.

all of which is why we need to build a test lab in our back rooms... ;-)

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

jtb, well said. This is what will ultimately seperate what you are learning opposed to those who are only reading and learning through transcenders, braindumps, etc. What will you know or be ready for after the exam :-O

The hands-on coupled with the MS press kit and some transcenders is hands-down the best study path to go. Doesnt have to be in the actual working field, but atleast coming into contact and dealing with what you are studying.

Im doing the same right now, but I am currently working as an IT Manager with an AS in CS and many many years experience in the field, but not enough time to sit my butt down and study. :) But i have to get it done for self accomplishment.

##BEGIN-SIGNATURE##
SPACE NOT IN USE
##END-SIGNAURE##

I found trancenders to be to expensive (i mean way to expensive) and also there sample questions differ way to much from the actual exams, this threw me off a couple of times when it came time to take the exams I was scoring 900+ in trancenders and then fail the test because the format and questions were so different. Maybe they have gotten better but ths is my opinion of them.

Ben A

MCSE 2000:Security
MCSE 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back