Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the tonumber command

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxam

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
US
I'm a beginner with CR8.5 and I'm trying to learn the TONUMBER command and how to use it in a simple report that I created. The data in some of the key fields I need in my report are coming into my report as a text fields and as a result I cannot use any of the calculation options (Grand Total, etc.) in CR8.5 I've read and understand that I need to incorporate the TONUMBER statement into my query but I'm not familiar with the syntax to use. Can anyone tell me where and how to input the command in the SQL script below to get the 'billed, paid' fields processed as numbers rather then text.

Thanks,

Rudy

SELECT DISTINCT
RS.`FILE_NAME`, RS.`CLAIM_DATE`, RS.`WARRANT1`, RS.`CLIENTNAME`, RS.`CLNTNUMBER`, RS.`GROUP`, RS.`PERIODFROM`, RS.`PERIODTO`, RS.`BILL`, RS.`RATE`, RS.`BILLED`, RS.`PAID`, RS.`EOB`, RS.`CONTRACT`, RS.`UBILLED`, RS.`UPAID`, RS.`BILL_FILE`
FROM
`RS` RS
ORDER BY
RS.`CLAIM_DATE` ASC

You can't modify the query in CR 8.5, you'd want to use a formula or a SQL Expression.

I'll show you the formula method as you didn't share the database type and version:

Select Insert->Field Object->Right click formulas and select New.

Give it a name, such as BILLEDnum, and use the following:

val({RS.`BILLED})

Now use this formula field in your report rather than the database field.

-k

Thanks for your help... that was too easy!

maxxam

No thanks but I do have another question. Can I write a formula in Crystal that will look at the results of a record to compare AmountBilled to AmountPaid and only display those records that have a discrepancy between them? If so, how?

Thanks again!

Thanks .. that worked well but I have a problem. What happens if one of the records does not have any data in the PAID field (i.e. 100.00 Billed - blank Paid)? I ran the report and the results seemed OK ... meaning the agument seemed to work and displayed what was requested but after further review there were several records that did not appear and all of these "missing" records have nothing in the PAID field. Any suggestions on what to do to include them on my report?

Either go to report options and check "convert nulls to default" or write a formula to use in place of {table.amountpaid}:

if isnull({table.amountpaid}) then 0 else
{table.amountpaid}

-LB

One more issue ...

I used the following expression to eliminate certain records from my query and now they want more!!!

{Table.AmountBilled} <> {Table.AmountPaid}

How can I make this formula only display items that are greater than one cent $.01 in variance?

Maxxam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back