Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the SN command line utility to strongly name an assembly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chix001

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2001
US
This sounds silly but I just can't figure it out.

I have a VB.NET project that I need to compile into a DLL for distribution. When I try to strongly name it (by using the sn -k utility on the command line, the error message I get is that "sn is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." What am I doing wrong?

OK - I did a search on my hard drive for the SN.EXE file and found it, so now I at least am getting different errors. That's a start, I guess.

Thanks anyways.

There is a shortcut to a command window that should have been in your Visual Studio program group that when you open it, already has the path & environmental variables set for running the command-line tools.

Or...

You can go into your project settings and tell it to sign the assembly, and it will be done as a normal part of the build process.

In either case, be aware that changing a version number results in a different assembly, and your global assembly cache will quickly become littered with old versions.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back