Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the same result set multiple times 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFAGG

MIS
Aug 23, 2001
GB
I am trying to create a daily attendance list for an event.

I have a list of attendees and the requirement is to print the entire list once for each day of the event. The event duration in days is held on the database as is the start date. I must show the date for each day in the list header.

I am using Crystal reports v8.5

have you tried grouping by date - using the group name as part of the header... you can also set it up so that if the day runs over more than 1 page the header can say 3/12/03 (cont.)

and if you want to keep each day seperate; ; then go into the format selector and (in the group footer) click on the "new page after" option. that way even if a day finishes in the middle of the page the next day will start printing on a page of its own...

(please forgive me if i over simplify things, i am new and am trying to keep it as simple as possible lol)

There are a couple of ways to do this.

The best involves adding a new small table to your database, but not everyone is allowed to do that. Can you? What is your database platform (ie MS Access, Oracle, SQL Server). Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

Ken, we can create a reports user with those permissions. Database is SQL Server 2000. Can you help?

Thanks in Advance. Bill

SSTATZER: Thanks for the suggestion but I have only one set of Attendees. The event is not broken down into daily sessions so your suggestion will not work in this instance. Thanks anyway.

i was following the same train of thought... but when you said you had to print out an entire list for each day i was thinking that the way i had described would do that and it would only have to be run once...

anyway i apologize for not being able to help...

I call this forced inflation. You create a small table that is just 2 number fieldss like this:

1-0

2-0
2-1

3-0
3-1
3-2

4-0
4-1
4-2
4-3

etc.

Then you link your duration field to the first field in this table and it causes your records to duplicate, triplicate, etc.

Last you write a formula that adds the second field to the start date, and group on that to get the different days of attendance. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

Ken, Makes perfect sense when you put it like that! Thanks a lot.
Bill :)

SSTATZER: Thanks Anyway
Bill :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back