Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the result of aSELECT as criteria for another SELECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

simco

Programmer
May 25, 2001
CA
Hi all,

I want to do something like:

SELECT ID_Field from STable where [here comes a long list of conditions that I need to build dynamicaly]

Then I want to be able to say:

Update DTable set Field='Value' where ID_Field in (here I want to put the result from the above select).

(all the above code goes into a trigger)

I was trying to create a cursor from the first SELECT, but, reading the post I understand that this is not a recommended solution.
So, what should I do?

Thanks for helping me,
S

Update DTable set Field='Value'
where ID_Field in (SELECT ID_Field from STable where [here comes a long list of conditions that I need to build dynamicaly])

Oh yes, thank you. I considered this, but (I forgot to say, my mistake), I have a lot of Update (like more than 20) statements that use the same condition (where IF_Field in....). I would like to run the first select only once and then use it for each Update.

You could do this:
Update DTable set Field='Value', Field2 ='Value2', Field3='Val3'
where ID_Field in (SELECT ID_Field from STable where [here comes a long list of conditions that I need to build dynamicaly])

or if this doesn't work...you can create a temp table and hold the ID_Field in there...or return from a User Defined Function...

dlc

Is it possible to use a table type variable to store the result of the first select? If yes, how?

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back