Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the "Underline" feature - and going to press

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazzystar

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
CA
I was told under no circumstance should I ever use the bold, italic, underline, word underline, strikethru, or text outline features in Quark's measurement pallette. The results, I am told, will be that text will come out on the service bureau's end in "courier" font. If this is the case, how should I underline text in Quark??

Your informants are partially right. If you use bold, italic or bold italic in a font which doesn't have a properly linked set of relations, you will get back plain version type. Spacing may or may not rewrap.
I have often used the underline feature, however, and more than a few times used the outline feature. I rarely use the shadow style, because I get more control duplicating the headline, offsetting it a few points, and sending it behind the text box (background:none). That lets me control the size of the offset and color of the shadow.
I don't believe any of these substitutions has triggered a Courier substitution, however; as I mentioned, I usually get a "plain" style back. If your service bureau gets Courier, you might want to try a second service bureau with more sophisticated type handling capabilities.

Or you can use the RULES formatting and obtain much greater control over the weight, color and offset of the underline. Why resort to typewriter methods when you have a computer and Quark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back