Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the "attrib" command in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

acroniscronie

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
GB
Strange one this one..I'm trying to make a particular directory structure available to all users of a XP workstation. The Properties tab allows me to remove the read-only attribute to the directory but everytime that I return to the same properties window, the read-only properties are re-enabled.

I thought I'd be able to use the (DOS) "attrib" command to get round this problem but this claims that the directory structure isn't read-only.

Even by using the command...

attrib -r -s -h

In the command prompt window, this fails to make any difference as to what the Properties tab displays in XP.

Please help

Check the NTFS permissions on the folder. If you are using the Simple File Sharing (Last setting in Folder Options Menu) then uncheck that to give you the security tab on the folder properties window.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you both for your quick response.

The Knowledge Base article was particularly useful.

I have the same issue, tried the registry fix but it has not worked. I am unable to copy any folders from my PC now. Is there another method perhaps?

The Read-Only attribute would not prevent you from copying folders.

Are you recieving any error messages.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back