Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the proper index (Oracle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorvad

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
US
Is there a way to get Impromptu to use the proper index (Oracle DB). I have two indexes which compete with each other. Several of my reports have prompts for a date range, and therefore use the "order date" index, while other reports do not have a date range prompt, and use the unique index "order_key, "company_key". However, every time I run a report, in which I want the DB to use the "order date" index, it uses the other index. It will only use this index if I specify a particular "company_key".
If I remove this filter, it uses the "order date" index. Unfortunately, I need to keep this filter in the report.
I was hoping that there was a way, in defining the joins in the catalog that would help with this.
I DO NOT want to use optimizer hints!!

Any help would be appreciated!
Trevor

It is the downside of Impromptu. I have deserted because of those issues. You cannot use hints. If you want to use hints, u will loose some functionalies as the query will effectively becomes the pass through query

Did you already tried to create an Oracle View with Hints inside ?

And then, in the report you use the view instead the tables.

Alain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back