Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the Excel Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what the general consensus is regarding using an Excel object in ASP.Net code? I have used it before in instances where the IIS server was dedicated to the specific app that produced Excel files for a small client load.

However I know there are various security and resource issues when .Net code on an IIS box is calling the Excel app and creating Excel files, and I have an app that will be on a more heavily used IIS box that will need to produce many Excel files for many users.

So the basic question is--when I have a web application with a requirement to produce and Excel file to be returned to the web client (either via download or opening the .xls from the server in a new tab), what are the best-practices for doing so?

I had considered creating .csv files instead, but the requirements include embedding functions and formatting so a .csv is not feasible.

Thanks,
--Jim

Ok so I'll answer my own question...
I don't know what the 'best practice' is, only that it is not to use the MS Excel interop object in IIS server code. JetCell and Aspose are two tools that I have heard anecdotal evidence that they will do some form of Excel manipulation, but I don't know how thorough either is. I emailed Jecell and posed several questions that I needed answered prior to me plunking down cash on their product and they ignored the email. Aspose sent a demo cd with MSDN magazine, but it was severe crippleware and I couldn't verify its usefullness.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any real-world experience in doing complex Excel creation and manipulation from asp.net code on an IIS server, eg, dynamically creating modules, formulas, doing Finds, etc.--not just easy stuff like splatting data into sheets.
Thanks for any info,
--Jim

Ralph,
Thanks very much! I will try that out, everything I've used from codeplex has been very good so this is promising.
-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back