Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using the DnsUpdateProxy group

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarchi

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2002
IT
Hi
i have one dhcp server on line and one server with the
same dhcp configuration as backup with the service stopped.
I have dns integraded zone with security updates enable
I need to use the DnsUpdateProxy group and put the two dhcp servers.
The are other steps? and if i put now the dhcp servers into that group what it happens to the records already registred on the dns zone? they keep the owner until they are updated or the changed immediately?
Thanks as usually for your help and time

Max

dhcp servers register clients that cannot register themselves, so your windows 2000/xp clients won't be concerned by this...
and no, normally, this should be fine.

as for the others and when they'll register... good question.
at a guess, next time they renew their bail with DHCP...
how did they originally register with DNS?

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

I thought that the dhcp service always update the ptr record here are the steps that it follow :

1. The client initiates a DHCP request message (DHCPREQUEST) to the server. The request includes option 81.
2. The server returns a DHCP acknowledgment message (DHCPACK) to the client, which grants an IP address lease, and includes option 81. If the DHCP server is configured with the default settings, option 81 tells the client that the DHCP server will register the DNS PTR record and the client will register the DNS A record.
3. Asynchronously, the client sends a DNS update request to the DNS server for its own forward lookup record (a host A resource record).

4. The DHCP server registers the PTR record of the client.

the clients are all 2000/XP,well are you saying me that if i will start up my backup dhcp server everything will be fine without put these two servers into the dnsupdateproxy?
here are the setting about my dhcp server:
update the A and PTR record only if requested by the client
discard A and PTR record when the lease expire...
(if the owner of the record it's the old dhcp, the backup dhcp can't discard that record when the lease expire).

Thanks as usual aftertaf
Max

change the setting to
update A & PTR always....
true, you have a point on PTR, 2K/XP only update A records themselves, its DHCP that keeps up reverse lookup. Unless i am very much mistaken, but i'm sure i read that somewhere....

check these two links, i'm sure you'll find an explanation that fits your scenario:

good luck,
David

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back