Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using TFTP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubble503

MIS
Nov 10, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have 2 questions, firstly I am able to take a copy of the running configuration of a router using tftp but are you able to take a copy of the operating system and if so what command do you use.

Secondly if I have a default running configuration can I save this as a template somehow and upload it to a new router straight out of a box or not

Thanks

About the first question:

first, check out the names of your operating system (IOS) software file, using 'show flash:' o 'dir' this way you can see the contents of the flash filesystem. Then, issue:

copy flash tftp

The shell will prompt for the source file name, destination IP and destination file name.

regarding your second question, you can use your running config to configure another device. From enable mode, type
'conf t' and paste your running config. Be sure you have the same interfaces on both routers and your sw versions recognise all the commands. Otherwise some commands will not be added to the router config so it may work differently.

Diego.

Hi

to add to what Diego said
If you want to configure one box as a duplicate of another, you can indeed copy the config as he says. However if there is any config on the second box at all the new config will be added to it, an it may be that some of the old config remains.
To avoid this erase the new box first, by doing a write erase or erase startup first.

EB

Another useful way of transferring IOS images, especially across WAN or busy LAN links to use FTP, this has been available for some time. Far quicker than TFTP to load.

look at `copy ftp flash' etc.

Hi

Routerman, true. You need to disable passive mode ftp on the router for all the ftp servers I have tried. I could not find a reference to this, but someone in this forum provided the command "no ip ftp passive" to get it going.

EB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back