Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using tags in Quark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popthequark

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
I was hoping that someone can help me out with quark tags.
I want to use them in a regualr doc for print not for web.

I am new to using tags in quark, the person who had my job last used them in the past, but I know nothing about them.
Currently the writers are adding in <I>words that they want italicized here<P>. I would ask them, but they know less then me.

As of now it is not working, I have seen it work in the past, but not for a long while. I far as I know it should work, the tags have not changed (from when it did work to now).

I was wondering if these tags do work or if they are even correct.

I am running QX5 on a PC.

The tags you show are character-level tags--meaning the affect what's contained within the beginning/ending set. Start with <i>some text<i> end with it and those words are italic.

Paragraph level tags begin as such
@stylesheetname:Text and so on

The "@stylesheetname:" is the beginning of paragraph-level formatting where, until another paragraph-level style is named, all the following paragraphs will have that style.

Once your typeset document is complete, save is as plain, ascii text (with the .txt extension). Then open your Quark doc, get text, and in they come--provided you've already defined the stylesheets. If not, just do it once the text is in.

Hope this helps.
Donna

Well as I said "...writers are adding in <I>words that they want italicized here<P>" So they have it wrong, if the want it to be italicized it should be <i>text<i> and not what is above.

Also where can I find a list of tags that can be used with quark?

I just tested it looks like it is more like this <I>text goes here</I><P>. I just tested it, without the <P> in a long article it will put a strike through the text that is in the tags. Not sure why that happens. I you use just a one word txt file it would without the <P> just fine.

Odd.....?

Any feedback would be good.

27dmac thanx for you help.

Does anyone know of any other good Quark forums?

I believe the proper way to start and end a Quark tag is:

"<I>italic text here<$> and some other text."

the "<$>" will return you to the formatting that was in use before you used the "<I>" tag.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I found a link to a PDF file in another thread that has all of the Quark tags.

I take I have to sign up eh.
can you not post the link to the pdf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back