Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Srvr08 Std GPO control XP SP3 firewalls, possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceez

MIS
Oct 30, 2008
US
Hello everyone. Have a curious question about srv08 and xp sp3 firewall. Is it possible to control the firewall with 08? I've read everywhere is a Vista/7 gpo only and cant find anything possitive about xp. So I've come to the source of best info :)

thanks for the help,

ceez

Hi,
I install/support 2008 SBS mainly, but have done work on 2008 std and 2008 R2 Std too.
I know for sure that SBS 2008 can control XP SP2 and SP3 firewalls, I can't be quite so sure about 2008 std and 2008 R2 std - but I would think so.

It depends on what control you want - as EVERY company is sat behind a hardware firewall (some crap, some good), I make a point of creating a Group Policy Disable the Security Centre and XP/Vista/7 Firewall - I don't configure it, I turn the bleeder off.

Its in the usual place - but don't ask me where that is, because without being infront of Group Policy, I can't remember.

If you get stuck, let me know.

Thanks, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back