Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using SQL to query a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddydustin

Programmer
Jul 30, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a query, EMR_TotalSheets, that selects job numbers and the max number of sheets (this is a production facility) for each job.

I want to query this query for the job number, but I having trouble doing so.

I'm trying this:

SELECT [EMR_TotalSheets].[Max of Count_Stop] FROM EMR_TotalSheets WHERE [EMR_TotalSheets].Job_No = Forms!EMR_Sheeter!Job_No.Value

The result is a #NAME? in the textbox I am trying to to use.

Note, the Forms!EMR_Sheeter!Job_No.Value is a value that is coming from the current form with the job number they entered.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Dustin

Hi diddydustin,

I think you just want the control name from your form, Forms!EMR_Sheeter!Job_No without the .Value property on the end.

Enjoy,
Tony

From your posting I am reading between the lines that you are trying put the SQL posted in the Control Source of a text box. The result is a #Name? being show. You can't do what you are trying to do. You can however use the DLookUp function and extract the field value from the SQL.

Save your query as qryMaxCountStop.

The following expression can be copied and pasted into the Control Source of a text box.
DLookUp("[Max of Count_Stop]", "qryMaxCountStop")

Post back if this is not really what the problem is.

Bob Scriver
Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886
Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source.
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Just use a lookup:

Dlookup("[Max of Count_Stop]","EMR_TotalSheets","[Job_No] = " & Forms!EMR_Sheeter!Job_No.Value)

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Hey, that worked. Now my next task with the Dlookup function is parsing multiple queries; how can I match job numbers, dates, and shifts? And if it doesn't exist, default to 0?

Thanks!
Dustin

Create a saved query with the appropriate joins to select the records and match the data. Then use that saved query in your DLookup function as the Source.

=IIF(DCount("*","qryYourSavedQuery")= 0, 0,DLookup("[fieldname], "qryYourSavedQuery"))

Post back with questions or comments.

Bob Scriver
Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source.
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Hey guys,

Everything is working great. I decided to great a unique ID for each shift, so now I'm just building this ID and then querying the query for that. My problem is building the string. Maybe you all can help:

= DLookUp("[Max of Count_Stop]","EMR_TotalSheetsByJobID","[Job_ID] = " & [Forms]![EMR_Sheeter]![Job_No].[Value] & Date$() & [Forms]![EMR_Sheeter]![Shift].[Value] & "'")

A Job ID should look like this:

123121001 + 071303 + 2
Job No + Date + Shift

I'm afraid my Date$() function isn't returning the date in the format "mm/dd/yy" and I can't find any information on formatting within the expression builder or whatever. Does anyone know how to do this?

Pretty simple question... thanks for any response.

Dustin

Try this:
Format(Date$(), "mm/dd/yyyy")

Let me know if that works for you.

Bob Scriver
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Glad to be of assistance.

Bob Scriver
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back