Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using SQL to ping computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

techsupport3977

Technical User
Mar 7, 2005
US
I would like to establish a list of computers that I currently have on my network. I then would like a view or a stored procedure to ping those computers every 'X' hours.

I would the results of the ping to be logged into a table to show datetime stamp of when the ping occurred, which computer and the results. The results should be pass / fail.

What needs to be done in order to accomplish this?

Just in addition to the others (all very good)

I also do a listing of pc's that are currently on the network (not necessarly running SQL)

using the net view command

That way you run net view to get the lastest list from the browser and then ping the return..

For what it is worth.

(I love to use sql as an admin tool - I monitor 150+ pc's/servers all running sql. Spread over 156 miles. Using SQL I can install com objects and do other things that would otherwise require my presence or the logged on user to log off:)

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back