Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using SMS to deploy BusinessObjects products to users

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
I was wondering if anyone out there has used SMS to deploy Crystal Reports or any of the BusinessObjects Enterprise applications to their users.

We are implementing BOE XI and I was looking to deploy the Crystal Reports XI software, the Enterprise Publishing Wizard and SAP Integration Kit to the report developers via SMS. It would be easier to control who can have access and who can't using the SMS technology; however, I have not been able to find a BusinessObjects Resource Kit that will help in building the SMS package.

If anyone has done this for Crystal Reports can you let me know how you went about doing it.

I am trying to avoid the whole, network drive solution.

Thanks,
Ken

Kenneth Hartman
Manager, EIS
Hughes Network Systems

I've not, but I'll share some thoughts here:

Crystal Reports XI software: This is updated via the Service packs and monthly hotfixes in Crystal, and already has a notification set up within.

Enterprise Publishing Wizard: They should probably avoid using this anyway, it's better to save reports directly from within Crystal Reports itself as you can overwrite existing reports and preserve the settings.

SAP Integration Kit: I've only used SAP and Crystal at one contract, so I can't help much here but I'd guess that it's a very infrequent update.

-k

Synapse,

Thanks for your feedback. I should have been more concise in my question. I am not so worried about the updates once the software is on the users PC's because as you noted BOs uses the automatic notification.

We are going to be migrating to the new XI environment soon. We have about 65 Crystal Report developers who are currently using v10. So what I am more concerned about is being able to distribute a uniform install package of the XI software (disabling certain options) rather that letting the users install it however they want (it helps with troubleshooting when they run into an issue.)

We also need to control who can use the software so doing this through SMS is the easiest way because I can manage the users who would have access to this from our software distibution point on the network.

As far as the Pubwizard goes, I agree, and many of our users do use this to overwrite the reports that they are working on in the designated testing zone we set up within the Enterprise application. However, there are many cases where they are publishing a number of new reports at one time and they like the convienence of doing that through the pubwizard.

We do a huge number of SAP based reports here, but I am not that concerned because we only have a handful of developers who are given the SAP Kit.

Anyway, thanks again I always appreciate your input. If you do hear of anyone using SMS to distribute the software can you point them in my direction?

--Ken

Kenneth Hartman
Manager, EIS
Hughes Network Systems

Makes sense, with the exception of limiting the install to a uniform setup. My history indicates that a full install eliminates problems, not the reverse, but I understand your position as I've shared both sides of the equation.

These days I am always given local admin rights, and I shudder at the thought of a sysad trying to assist me with resolving a Crystal issue.

Might be best to have a lead Crystal person in charge of versioning.

-k

Actually that is one of the hats I wear. Fortunately I am a Crystal developer as well as the CE/BOE Administrator. The problem I have is that many of these Crystal developers are not that savvy. The hardcore users we have are great and don't need me to hold their hand and most of them are in IT supporting the various business groups. Unfortunately we do have a lot of users in the business groups that know their data but are not that technical outside of Excel. If I left it to them to install the software I'd never get any other work done. Our sysads are pretty tight on the controls. We in IT have local admin rights to our machines but the business groups - where a majority of the crystal users are - do not.

-Ken

Kenneth Hartman
Manager, EIS
Hughes Network Systems

Got it, I worked a contract where they installed 200 copies of Crystal 8.5 to users with varying degrees of understanding, the low end was someone who didn't know how to use a mouse (eeeek!!!), and the high end was a Oracle dba who thought it a toy (as compared to what, tht joke of a report writer in Oracle???).

We locked them down hard as well, but I'd still just do a full install, I can't see how limiting the install could buy you anything and you'll likely have to go back and install other features later otherwise.

-k

All in all you are probably right. I'd be better off. thanks for your input on this!

--Ken

Kenneth Hartman
Manager, EIS
Hughes Network Systems

One of my clients uses SMS to deploy a COMPLETE install of the CRYSTAL REPORTS (Professional) software to their clients.

The CR-10 package includes the baseline from the CDs plus the latest Service Pack.

They are working on the CR-XI version of their SMS package for a Fall distribution.

If you have some specific questions, I can forward them to the guy who is doing the SMS packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back