Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Sidekick 98 under Win 98 - low resource problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter76

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
GB
My Sidekick habit began in DOS days and is not readily dropped.

But Windows 98 runs out of resources after a few hours with SDK just sitting minimised on the PC

Any suggestions, please?

I'm not sure on this one, I have been having the same problem at work even though I use a memory optimising program whose name escapes me at this moment.
It takes most of the day and maybe if it is left on overnight to get to about 17% resources.
A Restart seems to cure it!
The other programmes that I also have running are ActiveWords, SecondCopy97, Inbox (Windows Messaging) and occasionally Eudora.
I have replied to your post more to see if there are any similarities in our use what do you think?
p.s. I have heard somewhere that a similar problem arises with programmes because Windows doesn't allow/reserve enough (is it GDI?) resources and that tinkering with the registry can sometimes solve it. Only trouble is that with the information overload I seem to be going through at this moment I can't remember where I heard that.
Anyone else out there with any ideas?
regards
Jim

I dont have any of those programs running but do have others such as a modem monitor for fax, Norton SystemWorks, HotSync & Truesync.

The unique feature that holds me to SDK is the ability to link Contact details to Addresses. Plus, of course, Syncing it all to a handheld Palm.

I heard somewhere that SDK's 16-bit structure clashed with Win98's 32-bit requirement.

Thanks for your interest

Peter

does anyone know where I can purchase SDK 98/99?!! I've got hundreds of contacts in SDK ver 2.0!!
jkerry@pacbell.net

Dear jameskerry
See faq1 by clicking the
Check out the FAQ
for this forum

Below your post
Or click the FAQ Tab on the main page of this Forum
To get a link to the download
But make sure you read all the FAQ
Regards Jim :)

ps Do create a new post when you are asking a question!

Thanks for all the response. It seems there is no solution.

My workaround is to run SDK for a shortish period only and then close it whereas in the good old days I would leave it running in the background continuously.

It surprises me that noone has yet designed a functionally similar program that does work under Win 98 etc.

Peter76

Dear all,
It would appear that this problem only arises under Win98 second edition (in my experience) and there appears to be no problem running Sidekick98 on any other Windows version. Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

I had no problem using an earlier version of Sidekick with Windows 95 (leaving Sidekick running in the background 24 hours a day), but had serious memory problems when, with a new computer, I switched to Windows 98 and Sidekick 99. I solved it in part by periodically checking available memory. and rebooting when available memory dropped below 50%. Most recently, with a new computer and using Windows XP and Sidekick 99, I am again having serious memory problems, but I no longer have a simple way to check available memory. Loyal as I have been to Sidekick, I guess I will have to give it up and go over to Outlook for calendaring, though there is apparently no way to export the Sidekick data.

Dear CHIPLAW,
I don't doubt your experience with Sidekick, but I would suggest that you use Ctrl+Alt+Del (bringing up Task manager) and check which programs are hogging/consuming resources before condemning sidekick (It isn't the only memory hogger/consumer). I believe in XP there are particular ways of checking each programs appetite.

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to hear of anyone's experiences with Sidekick, whether they are positive or negative but I would like to check first that this memory problem is caused by Sidekick rather than any other program.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Good Luck CHIPLAW whatever you choose. Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

As a late postscript to my original problem of running out of Resources under Windows 98SE, and only with that version of Windows AFAICR, my solution was simply to migrate to Windows 2000.

I have no Resource problem now.

Thanks for all the responses.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back