Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using server bandwidth from dial up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxwk12

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
US
I was told that if I use Remote Desktop Connection (TS) from home with a dial up connection and connect to the server at work, which uses cable modem, that I would be able to browse with cable speed instead of dial up speed. But I can't get it to work. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Running:
Windows XP Home @ home with 56k dial up
connecting to
Windows Server 2003 @ work with cable modem

Thanks,
sxwk12

What isn't working?

Connecting Remote Desktop or browsing as fast as cable connection?

If you are connecting the computer you are connected to will browse as fast as the cable intenet will let it go. BUT what is displayed on your computer over dial-up will be displayed slower because it is still having to transfer what is being displayed. There are RDT settings that can make it go faster by displaying 256colors.....

Really that is not the best experience for browsing.

If you are not connecting to RDT/(TS)- port 3389 needs to be opened and computer on the other end needs to be enabled with your user account needs permission to connect.

Yeah, browsing as fast as cable connection. That is what I am trying to accomplish. I can get connected with no problem. It's just the browsing with this connection is still the same as dial up.

Will opening port 3389 give the PC at home with dial up connection the ability to browse at cable speed or will it always be dial up speed. I know downloading will be the same at dial up speed. I am just trying to accomplish browsing. My parents have dial up and do not want to pay for anything more. So I figured I could get them cable speeds through RDT/TS by connecting to the server at my job.

sxwk12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back