Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Serial ATA mobile rack as a removable backup device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imij11

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
I have 5 60GB serial ATA drive that I use in a Kingwin mobile/removable hard drive rack. I want to use them as hot-swapable hard disk's as a backup solution, instead of tapes on a Windows 2003 Server. The problem is the Server doesn't recognize the hard drives as removable so I can't remove them with out shuting down the server. I have silicon SATA controller card, but it has no option to make the drive's removable. Is there any way to make this option feasible? Is it as simple as purchasing a new controller card? If so what type would you recommend? If anyone has any experience with this your help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure Sata drives are hot swappable.. Can you specify the brand and part number of your hdds?

Depending on the SATA RAID controller, SATA drives can be both hot swappable and be made hot spareable. I've seen adds for various controllers that will do this. Do a Google search and you should find the info your looking for.

I would be very cautious using those Kingwin hard drive racks. I used to have 4 of them installed in my computer and kept getting opens (an electrical open circuit) which would make the hard drive lose 12volt motor power and shut down. After swapping them around, some hard drives would start & stop at random. I finally got rid of them and connected the ribbon cables and 5/12 volt power connectors directly to the hard drives and the trouble went away.

Support solar and wind renewable enery projects

I just got an Addonics SATA card that supports hot swap. Hopefully when I install it it will fix my problem.

Just a note. I Forget to post my progress. After using an Addonics SATA card my problems have been solved. Kingwin Drive cage hot-swaps easily. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back