Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Serial ATA hard disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfendi

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
CA
If you are using a SATA disk, is it fine to install your DVD-CD-ROM combo drive on the first IDE channel, (IDE1 instead of IDE2) since the hard disk itself is not using the IDE1? I haven't seen yet any configuration using SATA. Could anyone share some info on this? Thanks for any reply.

Yes, that would be fine. You may have to set the boot order in the BIOS, but other than that, you should be OK.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Well, I installed my SATA hard drive as "Third IDE Master", Ultra DMA-5,... The bios setup utility shows everything seems to be OK. Now, I need to install Windows XP Professional. My SATA hard disk is brand new (80 Gb).
From what I understand, Windows XP will take care of the formatting, partitionning of the hard disk, etc,... during the installation process.
My computer boots from the Windows XP CD disk but, after I answered the question to Accept the Licensing Agreement by pressing F8, my screen showing the licensing agreement text stays fixed staring at me and not showing any progress with the installation. I can browse through the agreement text or cancel it with ESC key, but, pressing F8 (I agree) does not move on anywhere...
I did notice some activity with the hard drive light from time to time. I waited for hours and the installation process did not show any sign of progress. I had to cancel it by pressing ESC key.
Anyone with that problem before?
I guess if my drive was faulty, I would get an error message... I did recall when booting to receive the following message "No drive attached to FastTrack controller, the bios is not installed".
I updated my bios to the latest version for ASUS P40800-E Deluxe, and the problem still persists. Any idea?

Thanks.

You need to press F6 early in the install process so you can supply the drivers XP needs to access the SATA disk. Those drivers should be on your mobo driver disk - or you can download them from Asus's site. Put them on a floppy, and supply floppy to machine after pressing F6 (you are prompted for this).

Thanks Wolluf,

I'll give it a try. The drivers are on the CD-ROM that comes with the motherboard. I don't recall getting the prompt for pressing F6 for additional drivers. Does that suppose I have to press F6 even without being prompted at the beginning of the installation? Just thinking...

Thanks.

No - XP (and NT/2k) always give this prompt (SCSI drives and some PCI IDE cards & occasional mobo's with non-standard IDE controllers need drivers).

That's true, the message for pressing F6 was present at the beginning of the installation. This time, I did press F6 and could have Windows install the additional drivers for SATA from my floppy disk. However, I was puzzled by the Windows Setup message stating:
"Currently, Setup will load support for the following mass storage device(s):
<none> &quot;
Shouldn't it be saying C: instead of <none>?
I did continue the installation with no luck. At the point for accepting the license Agreement, the computer still could not process with the installation after pressing F8 for &quot;I agree&quot;. All the other options work (ESC for cancel, Page Down, Page Up) to browse to the text of the license agreement.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

OK, the <none> mentioned before is not the problem. I have a motherboard ASUS P4C800-E rev 2.0. People are saying it is very good. What could be wrong with my installation?

Intel's ICH5R drivers are only needed for raid configs.
You don't need to install with &quot;F6&quot; option when having single drives.

syar

Isn't it a good practice to supply the recommended drivers that come with the motherboard with F6 option when installing Windows XP? I'm a little bit confused.
Thanks.

The &quot;F6&quot; option is used only to get xp installed and working in the install progress ,typically used for drives so that xp install finds it.
Motherboard spesific chipset drivers can the be added after the xp install is finished .
You should of course install the mb drivers .
But running SATA drives as single on the ICH5R conroller doesn't need the RAID drivers during install .
If xp recognize your single sata disk during it's setup ,all is okay .
Then after xp is installed you run the motherboard cd's
setup program .

syar

Thank you all so much! I finally figured out that my problem was not with the SATA but with the F8 key of my new Logitech Elite Keyboard. For some reason, the F8 key doesn't work. I'm returning the keyboard. Very weird! I should have figured this out from the very beginning but I obviously had too much trust in the new &quot;Logitech Elite&quot;. My old keyboard helped me figure this out.
Keep up the good work, guys & girls! I learned a lot from your posts.

Fen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back