Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using sas to open up ms access but with a twist... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinicod

Programmer
Sep 9, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am currently using the x command to open up a MS Access database from SAS. The only problem is I need to open up the database in administrator mode. If I was doing this manually I would hold down the shift key whilst double clicking on my access database.

Does anyone know a way of getting SAS to do this??

Any help would be much appreciated,

Skinicod

You need to find the switches that the command line accepts. I know that with word there are a whole bunch of command switches that you can use. Browse the Microsoft site for command line switches for access.

On another note why do you need to open Access in admin mode? Do you have to modify data? You can use the ODBC engine with many other tools. Please let us know.

Klaz

Thanks that is very useful.

The reason I need to open the database is not update tables - although I also do this, it is so I can run some vba code to archive and rename the table that SAS is about to update and to establish various links with other tables already in the database.

Thanks again,

Skinicod

skinicod,

How skilled are you with VBA.. I can show you a method of dynamically controling SAS from Access and pull the information directly into access and then continue with the VBA code that you have mentioned

Thankyou dmksas - I am already aware of the use of client side components and intergration technologies, and I make use these methods extensively in my work.

There are times, however, when it is nice to control applications from SAS, as opposed to writing VB/VBA code to open up a workspace and submit code to sas.

Thanks again,

skinicod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back