Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using RIS on non DC computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingE

MIS
Nov 4, 2002
US
I have two machines, one a windows 2003 DC with dhcp,dns and wins and the other just RIS. All is installed and working except for RIS. RIS verifies itself and says all is good however I cannot get clients to hit and get a pxe boot image. Clients get a dhcp address once booted but in the pxe boot, it doesn't find a dhcp address. The servers are proliants with dual nics however I have disabled and uninstalled the second nic as RIS doesn't like multihomed setups. All on the same network with no routers involved.

what could my problem be?

KingE

KingE

MCP, MCSE-NT4.0

RIS authorized in Active Directory?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Yep, RIS checks this when you verify the server otherwise the service will not start to respond to requests.

KingE

MCP, MCSE-NT4.0

"...RIS checks this when you verify the server otherwise the service will not start to respond to requests." Your RIS is not responding. Clarify for me though, did you go to the DHCP server, right click on the DHCP service>Manage Servers>Authorize and add the RIS server that is to be authorized?

Also is RIS configured for "Respond to all requests" or "Do not respond...."?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Respond to all requests is checked and Do not repond to unknown clients is clear.

KingE

MCP, MCSE-NT4.0

Verifying the service on the RIS server only checks that the RIS itself is operational. It doesn't verify DNS, DHCP,TFTP and so on. At the end of the test it explains that if you are experiencing problems, to check those services.

You haven't clarified that the RIS server is listed as an Authorized/Managed server on the properties of the DHCP server icon.

Since this is a 2003 forum, is this running on a 2003 server? Is it a member server in a 2003 domain? Was the domain a 2K upgraded to 2003? If so, and the RIS server was in place prior to the upgrade, then it needed to be the 1st server to have 2003 installed. Was that done?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Put DHCP on the RIS Server and authorize it in Active Directory. I had the same problem. Once set up DHCP on the RIS Server, everything was okey dokey

SpazMahoney, MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back