Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using RES Command in LD 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

srcvh1

Technical User
Feb 1, 2007
US
I just did a parallel reload on an 81C to get some licenses updated. Very basic procedure right, wrong! I made the mistake of doing a backup on the active Core and not the inactive Core. Well, the system booted up on the inactive Core off of the disk that I did not backup. Of course the last time that disk was backed up was a year ago. Now all kinds of programming issues are popping up of course.

My question is this. I see this RES XX command in ld 43. Am I reading this right that I can take the floppy from the the recent backup that I did before the procedure, and put it in the now active floppy drive, and restore from the latest backup? The description of this command is cryptic.

RES xxx

The file created to store the MIB-II variables, System Navigation
variables, and community name strings is restored from the
backup (external storage) device to the primary device.
basic-19
Where xxx = removable storage device type.
• RMD = Compact Flash device
• USB = USB memory stick

Does anyone have experience with this command, and will it work for a floppy RES F0?

Thank you in advance

It sounds as if you didn't do a full shutdown and it caused the inactive CPU to become the primary processor. My guess is that it wasn't in sync with your active CPU as usually the processor swaps over and your backups are rarely more than a day out.

This would explain why your inactive CPU had a database that was out of date.

To answer your question, plug in the floppy disk from the original active CPU and in LD 43, key in DAT. This show show you the current status of your backups.

Your floppy disk backup is the bottom "Backup" line and check the date it was last done. This should be an indication that you have the most current database.

i.e.

>LD 43
EDD000
.DAT
DATABASE ISSUE DATE(d/m/y)/TIME SIZE(recs) SEQNO
Main 2515_ 05/03/2014 at 02:00:36 161 5547
Secondary 2515_ 04/03/2014 at 02:00:36 161 5546
Backup 2515_ 04/03/2014 at 02:00:36 161 5546
Current backup is on floppy diskette on CMDU 0

CIOD157 INFO: CMDU 0 is ACTIVE, RDUN is ENABLED

Now key in RES

This will upload the contents from the floppy into the "Main" location and move the "Main" data into the "Secondary" area.

Do the DAT command again to confirm that the changes above have happened OK.

Now go into "pdt" and do the command reboot -1 to force a restart of the processors.

I'd also change floppies on a regular basis to prevent the data from being out of date or if you have a bad floppy disk.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thank you Firebird.
it says in documentation that the command is RES XXX, as in RMD or USB. Can I do it as F0 or F1? From there it says to INI not restart. I am trying to avoid another reboot. Also, I am not familiar with PDT procedures, if I need to reboot can I just do another paralell?

Thanks

The "RES" command works for all removable media devices such as RMD, USB and floppy drives. I always used to do a reboot on Meridian systems that had a single processor but if you can do a warm start, then try it first.

The command for a warm start in "pdt" is trp

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back