Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Replace function as Criteria for Dlookup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieT302

Instructor
Mar 17, 2005
US
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to guard against a person entering a duplicate value in a form. I needs this to be done programmatically and not thru the table properties. I can use a simple Dlookup to search for a duplicate value. However, I want to also try to account for typos where an extra space is included or where one is removed.

A Replace function should do this, but I am having difficulty creating a Dlookup function that incorporates it.

Here is what I need:
As the user enters a value, the program checks the field in the underlying table for a stored value matching the one being typed. If found, it disallows it. This means I have to compare a "trimmed" user-entry to a "trimmed" stored value.

Form Field = Cont_Group
Formula to incorporate = Replace([Cont_Group], " ", "")

How do I add the above formula to the Dlookup below to accomplish this?

If DLookup("Cont_Group", "tbl_Contract_Group_List", "Cont_Group = '" & Me.Cont_Group & "'") > 0 Then
Me.Undo
Cancel = True
GoTo exit_sub
Else
GoTo exit_sub
End If

Thanks in advance

So are you attempting to remove spaces from both the entered value and the field you are comparing to?
I would try code like the following:

Code:
Dim strGroup as String
Dim strWhere as String
strGroup = Replace(Me.Cont_Group," ", "")
strWhere = "Cont_Group = '" & strGroup & "'"
If DCount("Cont_Group", "tbl_Contract_Group_List", strWhere) > 0 Then
    Me.Undo
    Cancel = True
    GoTo exit_sub
 Else
    GoTo exit_sub
End If

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Hi Dhookom,

I made an error, which you caught. I meant to specify Dcount instead of Dlookup. Thanks for that. However, there is an issue with the code you provided. The code should compare what the user is currently typing against what is stored. To account for typos, the code should remove all spaces from both entries. If you look at your code, you will see that your code only removes spaces from the entry being typed. This means that it will always treat the two values as being different and allow the new entry.

I have tried variations of the following. Either it produces a syntax error or does not read the data correctly.

Dim strGroup As String
Dim strValue As String
strGroup = Replace(Me.Cont_Group, " ", "") ' user entry
strValue = Replace(Cont_Group, " ", "")

If DCount("Cont_Group", "tbl_Contract_Group_List", strValue = strGroup) > 0 Then
Me.Undo
Cancel = True
GoTo exit_sub
Else
GoTo exit_sub
End If

Any Ideas?

That's the reason I asked the question about removing spaces. I had no idea if the field allowed spaces. Please use TGML to mark your code so it is easier to read.
Try:

Code:
Dim strGroup as String
Dim strWhere as String
strGroup = Replace(Me.Cont_Group," ", "")
strWhere = "Replace(Cont_Group,' ','') = '" & strGroup & "'"
If DCount("Cont_Group", "tbl_Contract_Group_List", strWhere) > 0 Then
    Me.Undo
    Cancel = True
    GoTo exit_sub
 Else
    GoTo exit_sub
End If

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016