Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using "select count"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestermadoc

Programmer
Sep 9, 2001
US
I have a one to many relationship between "cases" and "casenotes". Wherever there is a "flagger = true" in "casenotes" I want to mark the record in "cases" as "true" in the "manflag" field.

The problem with my code is that if there is only one "flagger=true" in one of the "casenotes" records, then it marks every single "cases" record as "manflag=true". My code is listed below.

cnn.Execute ("Update cases SET cases.manflag = 'true' FROM cases, casenotes WHERE cases.caid = casenotes.caid and (select count (*) from cases, casenotes where cases.caid = casenotes.caid and casenotes.flagger = 'true') > 0")

Would this work?

Update cases
SET cases.manflag = 'true'
FROM cases, casenotes
WHERE cases.caid = casenotes.caid
and casenotes.flagger = 'true'

have you tryed the following:
cnn.Execute ("
Update cases SET cases.manflag = 'true'
FROM cases inner join casenotes on (cases.caid = casenotes.caid)
WHERE casenotes.flagger = 'true'")

let me know
AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin
"May all those that come behind us, find us faithfull"

Well, I'm trying to make it so that I can set "cases.manflag = false" where there is no match in "casenotes.flagger".

This is actually where my problem is - I need to know if there are no "casenotes.flagger = true" for a "cases" record, and mark the "cases" record "manflag = false".

Here is my code for that:

cnn.Execute ("Update cases SET cases.manflag = 0 FROM cases, casenotes WHERE cases.caid = casenotes.caid and (select count (*) from cases, casenotes where cases.caid = casenotes.caid and casenotes.flagger = 1) = 0")

sorry for the confusion - I also need to mark the proper record as true when there is a match, so your examples do work for that purpose. Thanks.

Can you help me with the problem of setting cases.manflag = false where there is no record in casenotes where flagger = true?

what about something like this:
cnn.Execute ("
Update cases SET cases.manflag = case when casenotes.flagger = 'true'then 'true' else 'false' end
FROM cases inner join casenotes on (cases.caid = casenotes.caid)
")
let me know AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin

I get "incorrect syntax near the keyword 'then'".

I had to replace "True" and "false" with their integer values: (-1 = true and 0 = false if I remember correctly)

cnn.Execute ("Update cases SET cases.manflag = -1 when casenotes.flagger = -1 then -1 else 0 end FROM cases inner join casenotes on (cases.caid = casenotes.caid)")

give it a try and let me know AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin

well, I tried it before I sent my last message - I get that error after I changed the "true" and "false" to "-1" and "0"

put a space between the " 'true' " and the "then" what is the data type of the columns? AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin

it does not accept the words 'true' or 'false', but it will accept any single digit. It sees a -1 as true, and 0 as false.

I tried putting the space in regardless, and I still get a wrong data type error.

Maybe an easier way would be to set the ones that do match to -1/'yes' and the go back to you table and set all the ones that are NOT -1/'yes' to 0/'false'

I don't understand.

The fields of "flagger" and "manflag" are both of the data type "bit", so if you set flagger or manflag to -1, the database will accept that as a "true", and if you set either fields to "0" then the database will accept is as a "false".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back