Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using queries to produce a report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

benwah

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi

Sorry if this is a lame qn but I have never used Access or any other database before. I have created the database and all seems to be working fine. I now want to produce a report that lists stuff like how many records were opened in a certain period, list of those records approved and those rejected, list of those still ‘open’ in the database etc…

From what I can gather one query won’t collate all the data I need. So should I create a multiple of queries? I have tried this but I can’t seem to get the data they collect onto the report (I can if I use only one query though as the data source…). Also if I go the multiple query method should I consider chucking the collated data into a new table and have the other relevant queries append to it? Then I can use the table as the data source in my report.

Lonely and confused
Wah

Ps all the required data is stored in one table….

Access only supports one records source per report as you have found out. The way around this is to use subreports which are created by making another report that has the data you are after and then placing the report in the main report. There are many different methods to doing it. Sometimes you want data from the subreport related to a detail item in the main report so the subreport goes in the detail section. Sometimes you may want a summary report that goes in the report footer section which sums everything. The method depends on what you're trying to show, and personal preference of course. Without knowing what you're tables are setup like, what values are in there, etc.. I can't tell you if you can do it in one query or multiples. It may be possible, but from the data provided I don't know.

HTH Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

You can create sub-reports for all of your queries and put them all in the same report without writing to any tables. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back