Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Privilege Mode Commands in Global Configuration Mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutiej01

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2005
US
Instead of switching back and forth between global configuration mode and privilege mode to use a commands, you can remain in global configuration mode and type the do command with the original syntax:

For example:

Router(config)#do show running-config

or

Router(config)#do PING 10.10.10.1

What routers/IOS levels is this for? It doesn't work on my 2520 with IOS 12.2

Think this was a 12.2T train feature which means it would be in 12.3 mainline IOS . Handy little feature just like the new named access list which allows you to put the entries anywhere in the list without having to pull the list off the router .

Cool tip... I wasn't aware of that one and always find myself dropping out of config mode to get check which interface it is that I want to change or something like that!

According to the cisco web site, it was introduced at 12.1, but only for some hardware (none that I have, unfortunately):

•Catalyst 5000 family ATM modules
•Catalyst 6000 family ATM modules
•Catalyst 6000 family switches
•Catalyst 8510 switch routers
•Catalyst 8540 switch routers
•Cisco ONS 15000 series routers
•Cisco7100 series
•Cisco7200 series
•Cisco7500 series
•Cisco 7600 Series Internet Router
•LightStream 1010 switch routers

Status