Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using PHP mySQL to create 'most read' stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShugNiggurath

Technical User
Jul 6, 2007
GB
Hello,

I'm not an expert in mySQL, hence being here!

I've a database 'news' that has several sections 'sec', I store records as 'published' and have a counter 'read_count' which is increased by 1 each time it is viewed.

I want to be able to list the top 6 stories as most read, but want also to limit the time backwards on stories to 5 days - there are a minimum of 6 stories published each day.

SQL:
SELECT * FROM news WHERE sec='$sec' AND unix_timestamp(published) >= (unix_timestamp(NOW()) - 600000) ORDER BY read_count DESC LIMIT 0,30";

As I understand it, the unix_timestamp command is asking the database to look back 600000 seconds from NOW and then order the results by the read_count limited to 30 rows in highest - lowest order.

The results are not reflecting what they should be. Can anyone help show me where I'm going wrong?

Regards,
Hugh

It's OK, I got it working. I was trying to use DATE_SUB earlier and I stupidly broke the query by using bad syntax, so I was trying to use straightforward arithmetic to test the string.

The syntax I am now using is as follows;

SELECT * FROM news

WHERE sec='$sec'

AND unix_timestamp(published) >= unix_timestamp(DATE_SUB(NOW(),INTERVAL 5 DAY))

ORDER BY read_count DESC LIMIT 0,6";

which returns me the top six read stories of the past 5 days.

I'm still relatively new to this stuff, so if there is anything wrong, weak or better performed another way in the code above, I'd appreciate tips...

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back