Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using PCI modem in hylafax

Status
Not open for further replies.

inetd

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
HK
Hi,
I have a PCI modem and would like to use it in hylafax.
The linux box recognise the PCI modem. I checked it by using dmesg.
How can I link the PCI modem to one of ttySxx? How can I know the PCI modem is really recognised by the linux box?

Thanks,
inetd
------

You can check from /etc/modules.conf or used this command : lsmod
If you already used com1 and com2 from your linux server.
You need to sign other com port for your pci modem.
Good Luck

If com1 and com2 are not used, how can I sign them for my pci modem?
Or, how can I sign other com port for my pci modem?

Thanks.

Your PCI modem got jumper for setting the com port.You can play around the jumper.
Can the linux detect your pci modem ? After linux can detect your pci modem and didn't show any conflict.
You don't need to change any setting from your pci modem.
Good Luck

Um...
I think the linux can detect my pci modem but I don't know how to use it. For example, I know that a external modem connected to com1 is represented as /dev/ttyS0 but I don't know how the linux represent the pci modem, and how can I override it.

Note: The pci modem is jumper free.

Thanks.

Maybe its a pci WinModem.
If yes, place it carefully in your rubbish bin.

Bluegroper is correct. We use the USR 2977 or 2976 which is a hardware modem with Hylafax. Works "PERFECT 10" every time. It is a hardware PCI serial device. USR even has an rpm for installing the startup stuff if you dont want to do it your self.

John G. Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back