Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Patterns 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidoran

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
I am a long time PSP user that has made the switch to Photoshop. I love all the features of Photoshop and find that it handles many things better. However, I really *really* miss my patterns from PSP. I have literally thousands.

Is there any easy way for me to use these (they are bmp format) patterns in Photoshop? It is something obvious that I'm just missing? I know how to use patterns in PS, but I don't know how to use THOSE patterns. I am not overly fond of the ones that came with the program.

Hi,

The only thing that will do this for you I think will be to set an action.

Open up on of those .bmp's, goto the actions palette (WINDOW > ACTIONS) then press the new action button and set your color label and the hot key if you want one and name the action then press OK and that will start to record your actions. Then do the following: SELECT ALL > DEFINE PATTERN > CLOSE then on the actions palette at the bottom hit the stop button to stop recording. Make sure that you only do those steps and nothing else while recording othewise you risk recording some other process that you may not want.

Then once you have done this to one of your patterns move all your .bmp's into one folder with nothing else in the folder, then in Photoshop goto FILE > AUTOMATE > BATCH
and use the following settings:

Action: The action you just made
Source: Folder with .bmp's
Destination: none
Errors: Stop for Errors

If you are having any difficultites with this process check out my FAQ229-2791 more a more detailed explanation.

Hope this helps!
relax.gif

Thanks! That sounds do-able. I'm away from my own computer right now, but I'll get right to the task as soon as I can. I appreciate the quick response.

~Beth

Hi,

One more thing:

After you have done this process you may wish to save all your patterns together as one .pat file.

To do this goto EDIT > PRESET MANAGER set the preset type to Patterns in the drop down menu, then where you see all the patterns click on one of them then press Ctrl+A (select all) and then push the Save Set button and then name your pattern hit ok then hit done.

Now if you were to go to another machine and you wanted all those patterns you simply just need to find that .pat file you created and put it on the other machine.

Hope this helps!
relax.gif

I followed your instructions and it was a beautiful thing. I don't really have thousands of patterns, but I did have 587, which is 585 more than I wanted to convert manually. I set it up, let it run and it was done in about 5 minutes. Thank you so much. I am relatively new to PS, after being a PSP user for years (since version 4). While I like what I've seen of PhotoShop, I have moments of withdrawl from PSP.

Thanks again, you saved me hours!

~Beth

by using photoshop 6 u can use all your patterns which r in bmp format. all you have to do is open new file and drag and drop ur copy and paste ur pattern into then new file and select the bmp file using marquee and define it as a pattern. It will be saved as a new pattern.

gops15,

That's exactly what was done in the action I mentioned above. Except the action and batch processing way is much faster b/c over 500 images were done in about 5 minutes, and all the patterns are shown in the little thumbnails when you goto EDIT > FILL
relax.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back