Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Outlook for multiple email account 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trini5

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2007
US
Unable to receive email in outlook account from other outlook users once outside of the company's domain.

Do you have a question or are you just making a general statement?

My question: why is it that outlook 2003 user with hotmail, comcast inclusive of his outlook email account unable to receive emails from his coworkers using outlook?

Are his coworkers also using Hotmail? Can you provide more specific examples of what the user(s) are experiencing? Do emails bounce back to his co-workers? Does his hotmail account have spam filters that may be blocking emails from his co-workers? etc...

Joshua is the only one in the office that uses his Outlook for Hotmail, and his Comcast account. I've combed through it and it works fine while he is in the office. However, when he is out of office, though he receives email from the Comcast account and the Hotmail account he is not able to send/receive email using his outlook account. My guess is that I need to set up a POP3 account for his outlook also?

I think I see what you're asking now. When you say "his outlook account" you really mean his Exchange email account, correct?

Yes, one way to help this user would be to move him to POP3 for Exchange. The user will lose some collaboration features if you do this though.

What we do here is we have set-up VPN accounts on our firewall for users who need to access their Exchange email while NOT in the office, and this is what I would suggest for you as well.

Another option for this user would be for them to use OWA (Outlook Web Access) to access his Exchange email while not in the office.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

RPC over HTTPS would maintain the functionality he has now when he's not in the office. Far more secure and feature rich than setting up Exchange to handle POP3 or IMAP4

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

RPC over HTTPS is another way to do it, but not required if you go with the VPN solution.

Good luck!

58sniper, is RPC over HTTPS the same thing as OWA?

OWA is a web interface to an Exchange mailbox.

RPC over HTTP is a way to configure Outlook 2003 to access an Exchange server over the Internet via an encrypted connection. Using RPC over HTTP requires that all Global Catalog servers be running Windows 2003 and have the RPC over HTTP service installed and running.

Search Microsoft.com for RPC over HTTP and you will find the Exchange RPC over HTTP deployment guide.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Yes, I've tried to set up Joshua with RPC-HTTP, however, though our 2003 Exchange server has the capability of RPC-HTTP - it was not set up initially as RPC-HTTP and does not give me the option to select RPC front end server or RPC back end server. Do you have to set up the Exchange Server initially for this option - or can this be configured at any time?

It can be configured at any time. Make sure you are on the latest service pack.

Your GCs all need to be 2003 with RPC over HTTP service installed.

Follow the guidance on Microsoft.com.
You will find concise information on setting up Outlook over HTTP on the Microsoft web site.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back