Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Oracle files

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnbuckley

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
GB
I want to copy an Oracle table via a CD onto a system which does NOT have Oracle server installed.

Can I then access that table via ODBC from Foxpro?

If not any ideas. I don't want to have to buy an Oracle licence just for this one job.

Thanks

John

John,

I can't see how you can access an Oracle table without an Oracle database. You would need to be able to attach the table to the database in order to access it.

Are you sure it is a native Oracle table? Could it be that the sender exported it to another format, such as CSV? What is the file extension?

If all else fails, can you go back to the sender and ask them to let you have it in another format? Oracle can export data to a variety of file types.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

I think I'm confusing the issue by my own ignorance here, with the terms table and database. Let's try the question another way.

The Sender has Oracle. Can they send me the native data from their files on a CD so that I can access it on my system which does not have Oracle installed? Presumably via ODBC.

I don't want to ask them to export it into another format as I don't think they'll bother and I won't get the data. But just copying their files should be OK.

John

John,

OK, it's clearer now.

The short answer is No. They cannot just copy files to a CD and expect you to read them. Even with an ODBC driver, you won't be able to access them, 'cause the driver will need Oracle itself to be installed (unlike with VFP and Access drivers).

But I don't think you should be too hesitant about asking them to copy the files to another format. That will probably be easier for them than to extract the files in their native format.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Mike

Many thanks. I nearly made a fool of myself but fortunately thought to ask.

Tek-Tips is wonderful

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back