Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using old Clipper Programs w/64bit Win 7, 8 or 10 1

pframer

Programmer
Jul 21, 2020
US
It looks like no one posting here in years but if you have an old Clipper program you still need to use there is a program I found that allows me to use it just like the old days.

For years I had to maintain an old computer at my store to use for a Clipper program I wrote in the 1990's. A few years ago I ran across a program built off of DOSBox just for running business programs and printing back to a windows printer. It's name is VDOSPLUS. The website is vdosplus.org

I've been using this program for over 5 years with my clipper program without any issues. I am not attached to the programmer/company, just a user and thought other might need it.

I'm currently using a Clipper 5.3 program w/vdosplus under 64bit Windows 10 pro.

pframer

I think I may be the only one still reading this forum, but I will say thank you.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

More people read forum :)

Sentiment towards DOS.

I also often see small private shops using software with a DOS user interface (text-based environment). It could have been written under Clipper - I think so.

In the end of 80s I wrote an integrated environment for Clipper 87. I got the idea from Turbo Pascal. The idea was to operate Clipper Compiler, Tlinker, Blinker, create overlays, create structures of tables, index etc. through a system menu. It was written in Turbo Pascal, Clipper and BAT. The tool has never been used for commercial purposes. I personally used this system from time to time and enjoyed like a child that it works ;) . Somewhere it all got lost.

Last edited:
@GriffMG, As for my system, I don't know ++XBase .

As for VDOSPLUS - XTREE doesn't work, Dos Navigator doesn't work properly. I have run my old warehouse program under Clipper 87. The screen was shifted to the right. Not all graphic elements were visible. As always, there are some problems. This may require some additional configuration.

I use old DOSBOX if it's necessary.

Last edited:

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back