Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using newly created Autonumbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystoff

MIS
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hi all,

I have some code that is going to make a new record in a table thus generating an autonumber.

Then I want to take that autonumber and append that with some of the original data and paste it into another table.

Whats the easiest way of doing something like that? I know I can do it the hard way and append to the first table. Use a unique field from the orig table to find the newly created record and use then create a new append query based off of that. Seems like there should be an easier way though.

Also, this is an ADP project so I can use SQL stored procedures if that would make it easier. I know there is a output variable part in stored procedures but I don't know how to use it yet.

Any help is appreciated!

Chris

Use a cmd button to add a new record. The wiz can do that for you. Then after your:

DOCmd.GoToRecord,,acNew

command ( or something like the above)

save the ID as a long variable

DIM savID as long

savID = me.fields(0) 'this assumes the autonumber in field postion one.

The open the foreign tables and do your thing.

Rollie

I did something with a command button with the following. There are 2 main forms involved. I have a frm_test and a frm_test1. Both forms have 2 subforms. I have a Command button on frm_test that only captures all data except for data in the subforms. The code below does that data capture. I click the command button on frm_test and it copies the main data and opens frm_test1. I have a command button on frm_test1 that will capture all subform data from frm_test subforms. The code is as follows:

[Forms]![frm_test].SetFocus
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSelectAllRecords
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
[Forms]![frm_test1].SetFocus
[Forms]![frm_test1]![frm_sub3a].SetFocus
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSelectAllRecords
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPaste
[Forms]![frm_test1]![frm_sub3a]![MainID] = MainID

You can repeat that code above for all subforms you may have.

This is a round about way of doing, but I have search high and low for an easier way to do this, and I couldn't find it.

I hope it helps

Jerome Benton
JERPAT Web Designs
GOD Is Good All The Time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back