Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using multiple modems on a single PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoe2

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
US
is this possible? my brother talks of 'daisy-chaining' modems together to increase internet surfing speed.
Is this true? How is it done?

Thanks,

Corie

Hmmmm....
Never heard of doing that to increase connection speed.
In general, your Internet speed is determined by your ISP's local traffic, your proximity to a local node, and overall Internet Traffic.
If you want to speed things up, then consider either cable or DSL.

You can use more than one modem at the same time, but you'll need separate accounts with your ISP and seperate phone lines for each. You can then configure windows to distribute the load over both modems (in a sense, use parallel connections). This will -in a best case scenario- double your current sonnection speed. But I doubt that is what you had in mind. If you want one account over one line take Ski's advice.

There is a software package somewhere that allows this. I haven't seen mention of it for a year or so but basically it sent alternate packets through the different modems.
I don't know what it did on incoming.
Suggest a google search for something like packet sharing.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yes it works. We had a setup similar to this in a tech centre i used to work for. Few years ago now. The company got mighty annoyed when the phone bill showed up. (oops) In short, your best paying the extra for a cable line. It works out cheaper, more stable, and easier to setup in the long run.

/Sib
programmer in the making
e-mail: siberdude@ntlworld.com

Cable is also much faster in most cases.

Too bad. I live in the country, so no cable or DSL. Does anyone have high speed internet through satellite? Is it fast and reliable? I haven't heard very good things about it.

Thanks for the responses!

Corie

Its good. But, its only downloads that are faster. You connect through a modem to send information, and you can receive info via the satalite. I'm sure you understand the restrictions satalie brings, such as bad weather, etc.
I have also heard its pretty costly. But if you have no oher option, and really want the extra speed, I guess its an option you could consider.

/Sib
programmer in the making
e-mail: siberdude@ntlworld.com

I want my connection speed faster so I can log into my Citrix server and administer the network from home after hours.
Sounds like satellite won't do it.
I'll just drink Mountain Dew and work slowly.

Thanks for the info!

Corie

Corie,

In the UK, we have a system called BT Home Highway. I am using it at the moment. I have the option of running either having 1 phone line and 1 modem line at 64 kb or using both lines at 128 kb. I have a USB cable connection to a box on my wall that does all the work.

The best advantage is the double line in that if somebody wants to call they can. They don't get the constant engaged signal.

I don't know whether it is available in your location but I am sure that it can be used on any standard phone line but the Phone Engineer has to do work in your local exchange to get it to work.

64K is surprising much better than 56K modem (Though normallly I only achieved 42K with old set up) and also connection is much faster. About 2 seconds compared to over 30 seconds.

I used it once at 128 k just to check that it worked and it did.

I hope this helps.

Rob

Direct TV has a satellite system that works on both upload and download (and feeds your television too.). I think they call it DirecWay. The system has to be professionally installed because it transmits. Through Earthlink the up front costs are about $900.00, then about $70.00 a month (television service separate.) Pretty pricey for 500Kbps, but you can get it about anywhere in the US.

Calvin8 is right, DirecWay it the two-way satellite modem service that's available nearly everywhere in the U.S. and it does run about $70 a month. I used it as a tech solution for an insurance office in rural Montana and to date haven't had any connection complaints from the user. The new DirecWay is a duplex system, you only need an analog modem if you want a backup to the satellite.

The multiple modem question that started this thread is a feature of Windows 2000 Server. I believe you can also use it in Win2K Pro. Yep, you need two modems, two phone lines, and an ISP that supports it...Good Luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back