Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Multiple Email Accounts with Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyx666

MIS
Apr 13, 2006
GB
i have microsoft outlook 2003..

i know how to create a new account and fill in the incoming and outoing email information etc..

i wanted to know however if there was a way that i could have multiple email accounts.. with their own individual inboxes.. within the outlook interface..

eg..

i have two domains..

mysite1.com and mysite2.com

in each domain i have 3 email addresses..

MySite1 has the following
info@mysite1.com, bookings@mysite1.com, & tony@mysite1.com.

and MySite2 has the following
info@mysite2.com, bookings@mysite2.com, & tony@mysite2.com.

now i want each of these mail addresses to have their own inbox.. and i want to be able to send and receive individually for each address..

if there was like a tab system on the left hand side..
MYSITE1 and MYSITE2. then when i click one of them, the individual email addresses for that domain are displayed and i can deal with them individually, because at the moment i am forwarding all the emails to one address and it is annoying me and i am sure there is a way around it..

please if anyone could guide me to some tutorials or examples or suggestions i would be very grateful because i have tried and failed to do so.

Hi, tonyx666!

I believe this is possible using profiles, but you'd need to choose which one you want to use whenever you open Outlook.

I don't know how to set them up, but several co-workers in my office have their email set up this way, because they have their own email and also a "generic" email for the department they work in (so outgoing messages don't have their phone number, but an 800 number on them).

Hopefully someone else knows how to set this up, or you can browse the Help topic in Outlook. Good luck!

yes i thought it was something to do with profiles.

i have actually seen it aswell in another office i visited..

so.. does anyone know how this can be done. ive tried the outlook help facility and i couldnt find anything.

In Outlook 2003, I have not been able to find an easy way to do this where you have separate inboxes.

Rather, I have separate email account setup which pull the emails directly from the pop server, matching subfolders and a rule which moves all the mail on receipt from a specific mail server to a specific subfolder.

When you send emails, you can choose which mail server/email account to use. Outlook is pretty good about chosing the correct email server based on the email that you are replying to.

Dino

could you explain a bit more how to acheive that. because some of my email accounts will have different servers

Just create whatever mail accounts you need. Then create seperate folders for your various 'inboxes'. Then create Mail Rules (see help, rules wizard) to move the messages - move messages with info@mysite1.com in the to field to infoinbox1 or something similar.

What smah said is correct.

Use Tools > Email accounts to create separate accounts for each email. You should use the appropriate pop & smtp settings for each individual mail server.

At this point, all the email will be fetched from each server and dumped into the Inbox. The emails will be removed from the servers unless you change the appropriate setting to leave a copy of the email on your server.

I use the Inbox for my work email and I have a subfolder for my home email and for another email.

Under Tools > Rules and Alerts>
New Rule;
Start from a Blank Rule

and select the following properties:

Check messages when they arrive
Through the specified account
Move it to the specified folder

You'll have to specify the account and the folder so they have to be created before you set up the rule.

You can then run the rule on the existing mail messages to clean things up.

Dino

yes i have done that thank you..

my mails from dif addresses redirect to certain folders..

however, when i click NEW message, it automatically sends from my default email..

the only way to ensure it gets sent from the specific address is to reply to a mail already in the folder.. is there a way around this?

i figured it out.. you just click account next to send and choose the account..

thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back