Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using MS Access to write queries against Accpac tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbinnz

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
NZ
has anyone experienced any problems using MS Access as a tool to write queries against Accpac running on Pervasive ?
I am a technical user and haven't experienced any problems using MS Access, but our technical support company would prefer that I used Crstal Reports as they say that MS Access can lock up tables whilst the query is running and also that Accpac in the future may not support MS Access

I can't really see a problem with what you are proposing.

Access is a lower-end desktop database system (as you know) and this may explain your tech support's companies predisposition against it.

However, surely you would need to use either ODBC or AccPac's OCX objects to retrieve AccPac's data. This means your development environment (Access) is no different from any other development tool - be it Visual Basic, Delphi, Crystal Reports, Excel or something else.

So long as AccPac always supports ODBC - which is a function of the database, anyway - then it will always indirectly support Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back