Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using ms a2k database with objects in excel and/or oracle on a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

uscitizen

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
hopefully, i've identifited an appropriate venue for my query.

as the info on the 'subject' heading suggests, i've created an a2k database which sits on a network drive and is accessible by users w/in the organization who mis has given network access to (the 'I' drive) on their desktops.

others who are may be interested in exploiting the data in the database have been doing their data collection at times in excel spreadsheets and others use oracle.

for the time being, the a2k database might be thought of as the front end for a paradigm which lets users access queries joining selected variables/fields/controls from the access tables, excel spreadsheets and oracle tables.

has anyone reading this ever been in a groundbreaking mode w/ any useful tips/resources worth recommending?

thanks in advance.

I will relate my experience in what I think you are referring to. I built some SQL Server 2000 tables from Mainframe data that was imported to Sql Server via the DTS system. The intent being, what I think you are doing, so as to allow users to access this warehouse via Excel or using MS Query. My biggest problem to overcome is selling this method to the users. Most of them run queries against the mainframe directly which appears to be quicker for them and easier to understand than tieing a spreadsheet back to a Database. I have had to create export queries to provide data which defeats the purpose of the warehouse. You may or may not have the same type of setup, but it has been my experience that experience with using Office is a concern when you are trying to provide warehouse data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back