Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Microsoft C++ 6.0 for DOS based program?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elena

Technical User
Oct 20, 2000
US
Hi,

I have Microsoft Visual C++, and I want to write a program that runs in DOS. Specifically, it is a HDD test, so the system would have to boot to a floppy. Is it possible to write in Microsoft Visual C++?

I know I should know this, but I have never used Microsoft Visual C++. Previously, I used Borland 3.0, which was a DOS based compiler. Also, I have only written very simple programs, and it's been a while.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Elena

Make a new project and pick "Console Aplication", it's a 16-bit app.
I'm pretty sure you can run it in a true DOS environment (correct me if i'm worng).

Nope, A Console application is not a 16-bit app. It's a 32 bit windows application with a text-mode userinterface.

You cannot create a DOS app. with VC++ 6.0.

/JOlesen

JOLESEN is write

DOS app is 16-big,and you can not create 16-bit app using vc6.0.

but you can create 16-bit app using vc3.0 or lower.

How about using old BorlandC++ as a compiler by making your project of "MAKE" type, and in your .make file override MS compiler and use old Borland stuff?
Just a guess, haven't tried it, but some other APIs (like Mophun) are using the same approach - separate compiler/linker through custom MAKE file.
You still have MS IDE though, just the different compiler is used!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back