Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using MICROS Hardware with different software

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdolan

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2006
US
Hello -

A friend of mine recently purchased a bar which had the MICROS 3700 system, and he got all the hardware and everything else. He does not want to pay the 8k licensing fee, and asked me to research whether there is any way to use a different POS system with the MICROS hardware. I am a relative newbie to this (I use REGIT POS in my textbook store) and so I turn to you, the gurus, for information.

Are we tilting at windmills, or what?

Sean Dolan

It really depends on what kind of terminal it is. If it is the WS4, then no. But if it is the eclipse, then yes. My answers are for Aloha only, I don't know if others can use them or not.

Adam

Sean,

There are a few issues he'll have to consider:

1) workstations
If you have Ultras or Eclipses with a hard drive you'll probably be ok getting another POS to run on them. They're just windows PCs.

2) printing
You may have a problem with printing though. Every printer, even the kitchen and bar remotes, are run from the workstations, not the server. The workstations have an RJ45 port configured as COM4 which runs to an RJ11 port on the printers. (The wiring is straight through, pins 1 & 8 aren't used on the larger ends.) Printers are given a line ID that allows up to 8 to run daisy-chained off each workstation.
Some systems use printers with a standard 9 => 25 pin cable from COM1, but they still use the COM4 line for remotes.

3) the new software
Some POS systems already have procedures in place for installing and configuring their software on Micros hardware. Your friend should find out about this and go with one of these companies. When I worked for Micros a few years ago we had a bunch of Aloha and PosiTouch customers who wanted to switch to the 3700 but didn't want to replace the hardware. One of my projects was to get the 3700 to run on non-Micros hardware so I can tell you from experience that if the new system hasn't done this before your friend is going to be the guinnea pig in an ugly science experiment.

4) service
I'm pretty sure the NY Micros office offers a hardware only service contract for people who are using Micros hardware with other POS software but that's probably not the norm. This stuff takes a beating, especially in a bar, so make sure he can get it fixed if it breaks.
Get details on maintenace contracts, like will there always be somebody available to help out if you can't determine if a problem is hardware or software. The last thing you want is to be down on New Year's Eve because the guy who knows how to fix your problem had a few too many and is sleeping it off.

Pat

Ok, I found out he has the Eclipse model. What POS systems (relatively inexpensive) do you folks recommend we look into?

Thanks a million for your help.

Dolan

Dolan,

You need to research the licensing issue. If your friend purchased the restuarant that contained micros, then he/she ownes the licensing. This is tranferable! If you purchase the hardware via the net, example:Ebay then you need to repurchase. The only fee would be setting up credit cards and that is only a few hundred. If you are dealing with a non-micros owned office and they are trying to resell you a license, call the micros corporate head quarters.

The simple fact is: If you purchase a site with the POS you own the software, hardware, and license.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you do decide to jump ship from Micros (and I strongly agree with POSWizard) you may want to reconsider keeping the Eclipe's. They run very hot, and have been known to spontaneously combust.

Also, the mag stripe readers in them (the ones I've dealt with anyway) become problematic after some time. Not the end of the world. They do have USB and a PS2 keyboard port, so it can be replaced by a wedge.

jumped the micros ship, but cannot get touchscreen to work on xp. the video, power, and touch all go through one dvi cable. no drivers found at elo, and of course micros doesn't have downloads.

Remember that tag on the DVI cable?

THIS DISPLAY WILL NOT FUNCTION ON ANY OTHER TYPE OF P.C.

Good luck. I'm sure it can be done. If you do pull it off, please let us know!

Look for MicroTouch TouchScreen 5.60.

Thats whats they used on Win2K

FoodtoGo,

You should re-read your link. This is talking about purchasing the equipment third party. If you purchase a restaurant that
owns the equipment.."Not a Lease Company" than you own the licensing rights and equipment. They are considered assets of the company and they belong to you.

I just spoke to the Micros dealer for NY and asked about this.

The license is non-transferrable. This includes equipment already installed in a site when you buy it.

If your friend bought the company that owns the bar, there's no re-licensing. This mean that the corporation name stays the same, the bank accounts don't change and your friend assumed all assets and liabilities. On the other hand, if your friend has created a corporation, incorporated himself or changed the bank deposit accounts then Micros can charge a re-licensing fee.

So if you buy Joes Bars Inc. which owns Paddy's Corner Pub then you're ok as far as licensing goes. If you start my My Bars, Inc. and run Paddy's Corner Pub under this corporation you're supposed to re-license.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back