Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using math formuas in Forms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyRider

Programmer
Jan 17, 2000
CA
I've just finished typing up a pretty standard table and would like to use it as an internal order form on out in house intranet. I was wondering how I go about inserting formulas so that the staff can get an online display of that invoice total.<br>
<br>
Is this a specific java or cgi application or can it be done in html?<br>
<br>
Any help would be great<br>
<br>
cheers

It can be done using Javascript, I don't have time to give you an example now, but there are plenty of javascript samples on the web that do math in tables.

You can also use VB to do that...I think is faster and easier than Javascript...<br>
there are a lot of sites on the web with VB tutorials and solutions...<br>
good luck:)

There's one inherent and large problem with using VB, not all browsers utilize it. Since it's Micro$oft proprietary, it will never be implemented in Netscape's browsers, unless someone were to come out with a commercial plugin (which means they would actually have to pay for it). This would result in a loss of half of your viewers. I would suggest doing a JavaScript to detect which browser is being used so then to be able to decide what's best. Also, ASP isn't the greatest either since not everyone uses Micro$oft Windows...(Linux comes to mind).

It's easily doable in JavaScript using some relatively simple calls even; although I don't have the time to write out a sample for you at the moment; if you go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new">You should be able to work far enough through the tutorial within 5 days to be able to accomplish this on your own :)<br>
<br>
Good Luck! <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back