Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Machine Certificates with 802.1x EAP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beridor

MIS
Aug 8, 2003
GB
I'm, looking to use my machine certificate to log onto a wireless network using 802.1x EAP. i would then like to log onto thge network and once again present my machine certificate as opposed to my user certificate - does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be achieved?

the idea is that if a user is on an allowed machine has can logonto that machine they should be allowed on to the network, so the machine is authenticated and the user is not.

I suspect that this will be a change within Windows (the client is XP by the way) as opposed to a change within the authenticator or authentication server - any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

Ever get this working?

Im looking to set mine up the same way.

Joshua

hi,

do you want to use only the machine certifcate?
windows xp uses default machine+user certificate.

with a reg key you can change it to use only machine certificatre.

mewi

Could you post the reg key please - I'd like it to use machine certificate only.

Cheers

Dave

ok,

here is it:

Enabling Computer-only Authentication Using the Registry
To configure computer-only authentication through the registry, all the Windows-based wireless clients must
have the following registry value set:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parameters\General
\Global\AuthMode=2
With the AuthMode setting set to 2, only computer authentication is attempted. User authentication is never
attempted.

from this source:

best regards,
mewi

yup - thanks very much for the response, solved my problems completely.

One thing to note (this may be implicit to a more experienced Windows Administrator) but the reg edit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\EAPOL\Parmeters\General\Global\AuthMode=2 is a DWORD

that was about the only thing that caused me any grief.

Thanks once again.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back