Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Mac as File server on Windows PC network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleodal

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
GB
I have a client with a Windows XP PC peer-to-peer network. They have one Apple Mac G4 which they would like to put on their network and use as a file server.

My question is, is the appletalk protocol enough to allow windows files to be stored on the Mac, or would I need some sort of file conversion software to be installed on the Mac to allow it to store Windows files?

If you have OSX, it should work pretty easy - if you use the Public folder for sharing.

If you go to system Prefs/Sharing/Services you can turn on file sharing and actrivate Windows sharing (and other services if desired), When you activate the windows sharing you'll see an address at the bottom of the window. That's what the Windows users will need to connect.

If you go to Help and search sharing, the answers will be pretty easy and, in many cases will lead you to the setup via clikcing a link.

jmgalvin,

As far as I remember, it is OSX but it could well be OS9.

If it is OS9, is it still possible to do what you suggested?

Yeah, except OS 9 had a slightly different system. In 9 look at Control Panels/File sharing. In 9 go to Help Center and search Sharing and Windows Sharing..

jmgalvin,

Thanks for your advice/help, turns out it was OSX. I got the Mac onto the network with no problems.

The only problem I now have is that when you try to access the Mac from a windows pc, you are asked to connect as, and supply a username and password.

When you enter the username and password for the Mac, it is rejected. I have checked these credentials, and they are correct. Any thoughts?

What was the solution?

Chip H.

Usually that problem is caused by not setting appropriate permissions and/or users and groups for the shared folder.

In the settings for the default user account, the tick box for "Allow user to log on from windows" was not ticked and it was greyed out.

I created a new user account and made sure the above mentioned tick box was ticked.

Just out of interest (you'll have to excuse my Mac ignorance), how do you view or access Windows PCs from a Mac?

What I mean by this is e.g. you can view all computers on a network on a Windows PC from "My Network Places". Is there a similar method of viewing/accessing all computers on a network from a Mac?

Yeah, it's easy. Rather than go through it and forget something, I'll suggest you go to Help and search "Access Windows Network" wothou the quote marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back