Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using -m arg with tapecopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCserveAdmin

Technical User
Jun 21, 2010
US
We are running some ad-hock tape copy jobs using the command line. We are wanting to have the job select a tape from the matching media pool and append the sessions to it. Here is an example of the command we are using:

tapecopy -s BACK01_M -d BEBSAN1 -t "3/04/10 5:02 PM" -n 7860 -ntotal 2 -m w3w –srcPassList < AFAFG-PP-WFWV02.txt

The problem is that the job will not use an existing tape from the media pool and will choose with a blank tape instead.

I have opened a case with CA on this, but after my first conversation with them I am still waiting for them to get back to me and confirm how this should work. In the mean time I thought I would check and see if anyone out there had any idea what we are missing. TIA

Craig

check the tapecopy log, found in the log sub folder named something like tapecpyxx.log.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the log doesn't give us any additional information. It just confirms that the system is selecting a blank tape each time rather then select one from the designated media pool. The folks at CA don't appear to know wha tis happening. They had me try the copy but use the -c -idd and -zd arguments instead of the -m. I went ahead and tried it even though this dows not allow us to run the jobs as required but it still did not select the right tape. Just selected a blank tape and assigned it the tapename and id that we had specified in the command line. Looks like they will bounce it to the next level but I would think that they should be able to answer the basic question if we can use the -m argument this way or not. Thanks again for your help as we continue to try and get a solution.

as per the tapecopy help, yes it should work the way you want it to. Based off the 2nd failure it seems that there is a disconnect between tapecopy and the database.

davidmichel,

Thank you for your reply. I just got word from CA that there is an issue with -m in 12.5. They have tested it in house and got the same results as me. So they are working on a solution. I will post whatever I hear from them once its solved. In the mean time the workaround is to format a tape for the media group required and then do the tapecopy using the -c -idd and -zd args forcing the copy to the new tape. The difference between this and the -m is that you must know the id of the specific tape rather then have the system select an available tape from the media pool for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back