Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using LTO2 drives with LTO1 tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebasg

Technical User
Jul 12, 2004
CA
Hello,
Does anyone knows if it's supported the use of LTO2 drives with LTO1 tapes?

NBU 4.5 Win:
I configured the LTO2 drives as HCART so it'll use the low density settings, but I have not (yet) LTO2 tapes.
After purchasing them, I'll need to freeze all the LTO1 media and copy to LTO2 or wait wait until expiry date. Then again change HCART to HCART2 and obtain the expected speeds.
I tried restores from old and new backups and everything it's going OK.
Is there anything that I should be aware of? (Like LTO1 tapes not compatible with LTO2 drives?).

T.I.A.

S.

You can read and write your LTO1 tapes in your LTO2 drives. As you add LTO2 media, you need to create a different media pool and different media type (Hcart2).

Thanks for your reply.
Now my question is if this can be in paralell (1 drive hcart and the other hcart2). Because the robot (Storage Unit) is associated with a drive type also... I'm sure this can be done, but I cannot test it.
Any insights?
T.I.A.

S.

A drive is a drive and is only concerned about media. You just need to make sure that you have the correct media in the correct pool.

So all your LTO1 media could be hcart in one media pool and all the LTO2 media could be hcart2 and in a different pool. Now NBU will just pull from the pools and match the media with the type of cart associated with it.

does this help?

Sure it helps, thanks!
The only thing I'm a little bit confused is how to configure the robot, because the robot will be either hcart or hcart2 type. I know that I can configure barcode rules to accepts both types, but the robot won't complain? (message of unsupported media error).
I'll give it a try today or tomorrow and I'll post the experience.

T.I.A.

guys, all along i thought hcart or hcart 2 is just for naming purposes, not like DLT and LTO whereby you need to specify correctly... even you use LTO2 tape with hcart as the robot setting, it still will work and vice versa....

am i correct ? thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back