Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Live Trace in Illustrator CS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeThorne

Technical User
Mar 17, 2008
US
HI

This is driving me crazy.
I always did this in Streamline when I had older versions of Illustrator.

I have a simple piece of line art, 5 shapes in a ring that form a fan like design like a turbo blade.

I want to bring it into Illustrator and turn it into a vector graphic.

I created a new page, then imported the Tif file into Illustrator.

Next I used live trace using the "Black and White Logo" option.

At this point when I select it, it will only show me the outline of the page I imported.

Next I used Live Paint, once this process was complete I could see the outline of the blades and the sheet when I selected it.

I can see the points on the path, etc.

The problem is that it is locked so that I can not select any of the components separately or change them, most important I can't remove the white background and leave only the Blades as objects by themselves.

What am I doing wrong?

I need to get the blades to appear as independent pieces of art and then remove parts of them that are not visible one the type over laps them, using pathfinder's trim tools.

Mike

PS.

Ok I realized once I moved the blades to a layer and placed my guide behind it that the white background doesn't show.

So I just need to know how to make the blade so that I can edit them, they are not grouped but I can not move them or chance them as a single object.

Mike

...can you post a link to the graphic in question?

andrew

Hi

I found the menu in the layers pallet that let me select the components of the drawing independently. As you can guess I'm new to Illustrator CS3 and I jumped all the way from 8.

Any way I got what I needed as far as the fan art goes.

Now I have another problem.

See my new post.

Mike

hi mike,

i don't see a new post on the latest problem anywhere?

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back