Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using links to store log files

Status
Not open for further replies.

developerinlondon

Programmer
Jan 11, 2003
GB
i am trying to get tomcat to use a symlink to write its logs. so i created a link called /opt/tomcat/logs to point to /var/log/tomcat

it works, but only partially, i can see the catalina.xxxx-xx-xx.log file but not catalina.out, nor does the log4j files show up... i cant find any errors being reported anywhere either.

tomcat is being run as root so it should have enough rights to write there... any ideas?

i am thinking it could be to do with some permission settings inside tomcat as log files such as catalina.xxxx-xx-xx.log and localhost.xxxx-xx-xx.log are showing up.
its catalina out and my own servlet's created log4j logging that arent working.

i noticed theres a file called 'catalina.policy' in the 'conf' folder, does this have anything to do with it? the files that works uses the tomcat-juli classes which has full permission given in the catalina.policy.

thanks in advance.

ok for some reason the catalina.out IS working now,.... only my own servlet's log4j doesnt seem to be doing anything when i use a symlink log folder.

ok for some odd reason it seems to be working now! i have no idea why it wouldnt have worked yesterday when i tried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back