Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using jpg files with Reports 6i

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have an employee table with employee photos stored outside the database as jpg files. The photos are named by the emp_id number that is the primary key of the employee table.. ie 9899.jpg... how can I display an employee photo in Reports 6i?

thanks for any help...

You may use Ole Container or Image item on the form and BLOB field in database. You may also read about READ_IMAGE_FILE built-in Regards, Dima

Here is a sample program with which you can read an image from a location into the image field in the form
declare
filename varchar2(25);
a varchar2(15);
pat varchar2(100);
ID VARCHAR2(6);
BEGIN
a:=:pHOTO;
filename :=A;
read_image_file('A:\E-MAIL\MVC-'||filename||'E.jpg','JFIF','e_detail.image22');
SELECT ID_CARD_NO INTO ID FROM LAST_ID;
:T1:=ID;
GO_ITEM('T1');

END;

Philip

Oops, haven't read the title, only body. I talked about Forms, not Reports :) Regards, Dima

I experimented with Long Raw and BLOB fields because I wanted to store the images in the table originally. I rejected the long raw field because there was just too much row chaining and performance was bad.. I could never get the blobs to work... so I went to the *.jpg files instead..Ill give the read_image_file a try... maybe it works in reports...

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back