Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Java with Textpad 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJOHNS

MIS
Sep 12, 2001
US
I have java and Textpad installed on my computer. I want to use Textpad to write, compile, and run my java programs. I've done this in the past on another computer with no problems. However, on this one, I'm having some trouble. I can write and compile the applications fine, but when I try to run them, I get a No Class Defined error. I've tried to run programs I've done in the past that worked on other computers and gotten the same result.

I'm sure my problem is in the way I set up java on Textpad. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Make sure that your classpath and your path include the current directory ("."). I believe that if your CLASSPATH isn't set that java.exe uses your PATH.

I had jdk1.3.0 in my path, but not my classpath. I added a classes folder to my jdk1.3.0\bin and added jdk1.3.0\bin\classes to both my path and classpath. Now it works fine as long as I save the java file in that folder. I would really rather use a disk, but I'll use it the way it is.

Thanks a lot.

Man. Changing your path in WindowsME is a pain. I'm wishing I had Windows 2000.

Hi JJOHNS,
You can save the java file in any folder of your choice. Just add that path to the classpath, and run the program, and it would work fine.

Regards,
Rajarajan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back