Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using iTivity (VNC) with RDS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

john30120

Technical User
Dec 7, 2001
US
I am using iTivity (supposidly uses VNC) to connect an XP Pro box to a software help desk elsewhere for program maintenence. I would like to activate this connection using Remote Desktop to control the box as the XP Box is physically hard to access. I understand that XP only allows one RDS connection but I have loaded in the patches that should allow multiple connections. The iTivity connection works fine when activated from the box but when using RDS to get things started it fails. Any workarounds??

What fails? The RDP connection or your program?

Do you have Remote Desktop enabled in System Properties, Remote tab (2nd checkbox)?

If I understand you, the VNC connection from the XP box to helpdesk works OK, but when you RDS into the XP box then the VNC connection will not work, reight?

I do this regularly with RealVNC and it works fine without any patches on the XP box.

I wonder if iTivity may be using the same port as remote desktop. If so that would not work. You mucht have to set up remote desktop to use a different one, which is a registry patch, I believe. You would also have to open that port on the firewall.

Another possibility: if the iTivity/VNC connection is running in full-screen mode (not a window) on the XP box that may make the RDS connection lock up. What happens if you do ALT-Enter to try to put it into a window on the XP box? What happens if you make the iTivity connection first and then try to RDS in (with the same credentials)?

Similarly, you might have problems if iTivity is changing screen resolution upon connecting to match the helpdesk machine.

Jock

The RDS works otherwise OK. There does not seem to be a port conflict. There may be an inherent conflict with using iTivity with RDS although I can't get directly to their customer support.

I'll investigate using the RealVNC. Have you used this specifically with iTivity?

Thanks

No, I have no experience with iTivity at all. My comments were based on my understanding it was based on VNC.

I would NOT use RealVNC for external connections, BTW as I believe it is readily compromised. I use remote desktop from outside the firewall to access one machine on the local net and then VNC from that machine to other systems at the remote site, which is inside the firewall at their end.

I took a look at iTivity's tech support FAQ's and found one relating to access via RDP. Have you seen:
So it does sound like RDP is compatible, depending on the type of access and, as I suspected, the window status.

Also their default port is 25800 and a common alternate is 443 so that should not cause a conflict, though it is configurable. As long as it wasn't configured to use the same port as remote desktop, possibly to avoid having to specially configure routers and firewalls, it should be OK.

Jock

> I am using iTivity (supposidly uses VNC)

iTivity supports encrypted access to both VNC and RDP services.

In the iManager, simply right-click the desired iAgent system and select "Remote Desktop" to open an RDP connection. For VNC access, use the [View] button on the toolbar.

> The iTivity connection works fine when activated from the box but when using RDS to get things started it fails.

Are you launching the iTivity Admin iAgent (always on) or the Live Support iAgent (on demand)?

The current Live Support iAgent release (5.1.01) runs as an application in your desktop session. It will exit when you close the RDP connection to the XP system. Previous Live Support iAgent releases (before 5.1) ran as a service and would always display the status dialog on the physical console. I believe this is the problem you are experiencing when launching the Live Support iAgent from an RDP session (rather than the physical console).

The Admin iAgent runs as a service and will continue running after your local RDP session closes. However, the Admin iAgent does not display the status dialog and is intended to remain connected at all times. You can install the Admin iAgent and set the services for manual startup. Then you can use the start menu options to start and stop the Admin iAgent on demand.

> Any workarounds??

Have you tried to launch the Live Support iAgent from a *console* RDP session?

mstsc.exe /v:1.2.3.4 /console

Brian Blevins - iTivity Developer

Hi, Brian

Thanks vm for your post. It is great to see a vendor be proactive in helping out.

Jock

Several points and thanks to all.
1) Running the RDP in "console" mode makes no difference.
2) I have tried both the iAgent and the iAdmin and neither works using RDP. Medware (Sage Software) is using iAgent v4 as they don't yet have an automated install for v5. I can do a manual install of v5 next week if this may be a factor.

I have had a chance to work with the server and a workstation side by side.

Indeed the problem seems to be with the graphic output of the iTivity. For example: Logged in as user1 on the server and user2 on the workstation, iTivity Admin is started from the workstation. The icon pops up on the taskbar of the server console but not the workstation's representation of the console. Itivity works fine and can be stopped from the workstation. It's just that you don't know it! Logging in from the workstation in "console mode" makes no difference.
The support iAgent is unusable from the workstation as it must be seen and responded to to be useful.

It sounds like you can use RDP to the headless XP system and then successfully start and stop the currently installed Admin iAgent version. While not optimal, it seems workable until a later version of the Live Support iAgent can be installed.

The iTivity Admin iAgent is really meant to run as a service and remain connected at all times. You can always find out whether it is running by checking the services applet. The 5.1.01 Admin iAgent can provide access to any windows desktop or session on the system from NT 4.0 workstation through 2003 Server with terminal services as well as Vista.

The iTivity Live Support iAgent is meant to provide attended and interactive technical support to a single user desktop. The latest version, 5.1.01, will work inside of any windows session, including a terminal services session.

> The support iAgent is unusable from the workstation as it must be seen and responded to to be useful.

The 5.1.01 Live Support iAgent can run inside any RDP or terminal services desktop. I believe you are working with the 4.6 version, which does not support RDP sessions.

Thanks to all and especially Brian for excellent vendor interest and support. Running the admin agent as I am doing now is serviceable and essentially solves my problem.

But, it looks as if the iAgent v5.1.01 would be a complete fix. I'll contact the software company and see if they want to try it.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back